I can be a creature of habit, especially when it comes to breakfast. I pretty much eat the same breakfast everyday with a couple of alterations here and there. What I have is this bowl of Super Omega Oatmeal. It’s warm, comforting, and fiber-ful. It keeps me completely satiated until lunch time, I never feel the need to snack. This is also one of my favorite breakfasts before a long run. It incorporates some super healthy ingredients like flax seeds, flax meal, almonds, and chia seeds.
Flax seeds are tiny little things but seriously packed with many nutritional benefits. They are sold as whole seeds and ground (check out the bulk bins at Whole Foods!). I like to toss both varieties into my oatmeal.
- They are high in vitamins and minerals (most B vitamins, magnesium, and manganese.
- Are the richest plant source of Omega-3 fatty acids, (some animal sources are tuna and salmon). Omega-3 fatty acids cannot be produced by the body and therefore must be obtained through food. O3s are essential in fighting inflammation and preventing cholesterol build up.
- Contains both soluble and insoluble fiber which is believed to be a key in lowering blood sugar levels.
- Can help with weight management/loss. What?? Oh yes!! Flax seeds expand when ingested and make you feel more satiated. Chia seeds do the same thing.
Here’s a great site for more info. on Omega-3 fatty acids and their benefits.
It’s a little hard to believe that a small bowl of this oatmeal can contain so many benefits to your health, but it’s true!! Who said oatmeal had to be boring?
Recipe: Super Omega Oatmeal
3/4 cup milk
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
1 tbs. flax seeds or ground flax meal (I use both!)
1/2 tbs. chia seeds
5 chopped almonds
fruit of choice!!!
1. Pour milk into a medium sauce pan and turn heat to medium-low. Add flax, spices, and oatmeal. Cook for 4-7 minutes, stir occasionally.
2. Pour into a medium bowl. As the oatmeal cools it’ll thicken, so I always add about 1/4 C additional milk to get it to the consistency I prefer. Add milk until you get your oatmeal to a consistency that you prefer.
3. Top oatmeal with almonds, chia seeds, and your choice of fruit! Enjoy!